The Mauritius Bel Ombre estate, a stretch of beautiful coastline in the south of the island, is connected to Irish philanthropist and sugar magnate Charles Telfair, who bought the Bel Ombre sugar factory in 1816.
The factory closed when the area was given over to luxury tourism but the historic chimney recalls bygone days. Abundant opportunities exist to explore the 2,500-hectare estate, from the Frédérica Nature Reserve to golf in an 18-hole championship golf course to water sports in the tranquil lagoon that laps the beaches of Mauritius’ south coast.
Frédérica Nature Reserve
Frédérica Nature Reserve, set within the south Mauritius resort of Bel Ombre just west of the Sofitel hotel, offers abundant nature and a host of gentle walking and horse-riding trails. If you want the thrill of adventure during your stay in Mauritius, arrange quad biking and mountain biking on winding forest tracks.
At the hotel’s activity center you can sign up for island tours of all sorts, including a 4 x 4 discovery trail, and tours of the unspoilt coastline of south Mauritius, where the resort is located.
Tours & Activities
Your So Special butler will advise you on Mauritius tours and activities, including:
• Frédérica Nature Reserve
• Le Morne Brabant, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
• Ile aux Bénitiers and Ile aux Cerfs catamaran cruise
• Chamarel Falls, the Seven Colored Earths and the Rhumerie de Chamarel rum-making tours
• Grand Bassin (Ganga Talao) sacred lake
• Bois Chéri tea plantation
• Mahébourg, Blue Bay and Ile aux Aigrettres nature reserve
• Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam Botanical Garden (Jardin des Pamplemousses)
• 18-hole Heritage golf course
• Water sports